Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

My Project's ground; my experience.


Being truthful and accurate in writing about my project I must share the following.  The Project is a stand I take, using mindfulness practice.  Inherent in this Project is the fact that I do still live with traumatic brain injury.   The TBI hasn’t magically gone away, rather it is a continuing part of my life that I get to have.  I know many of the recurring and ongoing symptoms.  I regularly experience the deficits of short-term and other memory loss.  Foggy mental state arises unbidden.  Often I engage in Leapfrog speaking, blurting out thoughts that arise often inappropriately, automatically. Self centerdness often overrides compassion.  Knowing the deficits is only the first step in compensating for or ideally clearing them up (awareness and neuroplasticity). With TBI I’m hard wired for the deficit due to brain damage. I can live with positive intention (possibility). I know the positive effects of mindfulness practice in my own life experience and share it with you.

I still intend to formulate a way of being that works with frustrations that arise – not as a hope, rather as a real possibility.  I am 'standing' or should we say  'sitting mindfully'), for the possibilities that are real!  Being/acting this way the fog often clears, mental states change (self regulation) and I am not lost in confusion.

Mindfulness practice allows me to see that with intention I can have new behaviors arise as well as make amends or be responsible for what has happened.  There are many possibilities before us all of the time
With mindfulness we can skillfully chose how to make one thing or another happen.  Also for me mindfulness tangibly results in the very knowable form of what are
called the ‘seven factors of enlightenment’:
  • Mindfulness   i.e. to be aware and mindful in all activities and movements both physical and mental
  • Investigation   into the nature of  life
  • Energy a feeling of focus and aliveness
  • Joy or rapture lightening or delight
  • Relaxation or tranquility  of both body and mind
  • Concentration  a calm, one-pointed state of concentration of mind
  • Equanimity, to be able to face life with all its' vicissitudes being calm of mind and in tranquility, without disturbance.
This is a canonical list and at another time I will share how exactly I know these factors in my life experience.  Direct knowing of these is clearly observable and actually is possible in our practice.  This can be said or framed as fuel for practice.
Why to do it! 

My project is to share my experience and practice clearly. It just may work for you, explore, try it out. Next I will post meditation instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment